Friday, January 9, 2015

First week in MTC

Hey everyone! I've officially been a missionary for like 9 days. Its so awesome to have my badge and everything! Its just crazy cuz when I got here I realized that I'm gonna be so lost for a while cuz no one spoke spanish!!! hahah! It was so scary but I said a prayer and immediately felt comforted and I knew I was in good hands when I was met by a couple of tiny little Colombians hahah!

The first week was SO hard and sketchy cuz I didn't know the language, I was scared and alone. But now I know everyone in the MTC (its called the CCM here and there's only like 60 or less people haha) and I'm friends with all of them! There's only like 12 north americans and the rest are latinos who only speak spanish ahah! But they're so nice and all they wanna do is help us and talk to us. They're super patient with us and I can just feel how pure they are.

Some of their stories are insane! They inspire me with their desire and spirit. I'm gonna be friends with some of them for a really long time. I felt so bad cuz a big thing here is trading ties (cambiar) and I love all my ties cuz they're so nice. But I ended up trading some because I realized that its not about stuff. Its about the people.

Ok here's some stuff I learned this week: the gift of tongues is real and if you pray for it and rely on it, you'll learn so much faster. Also the temple is incredible and its the ultimate goal for everyone. I want to see everyone there with their families on my mission. I know the happiness that comes inside those building and the incredible lessons that are to be learned in them. Also we have a lot to learn from other cultures and languages. The scriptures and hymns are all different here and it creates a whole new meaning for them and its awesome. And their faith is so strong. They pray and just expect and answer right there and they get it! its awesome how faithful these people are I'm so lucky to be here.


Another thing is that we all have different talents and knowledge and insight that people can benefit from. Use Christ`s atonement to see yourself as the amazing individual you are and then don't hold back! Bless peoples lives around you!!!!

It was hilarious to see all the people at the airport and on the plane just glued to their devices. Its ridiculous how people rely on it but I don't judge. I'd do the same if i could hahahah! But try spending like a day without it and just focus on blessing people with service and such it will pay off:)  If any of you are going on missions soon, a word of advice: the first week will be so stressful and hard but just push through it. It'll get easier after a couple weeks. You just need to adjust and figure out how to manage your stress:) Don't give up, just keep trying and pushing through and praying and trusting the spirit and I promise it'll be ok and it'll get easier:)

The book of mormon is awesome. I have time finally to just sit and read it cuz I have to and I don't have any distractions hahahaha:P  But try to just read a few chapters and just chill and don't get distracted and you'll see what I mean. Its so great. I love the book and the lessons it teaches and the joy it brings.

The rules here are crazy and there's no way to really follow all of them. But my heart is in the right place and if I just know that and don't get discouraged when I mess up then its totally fine and super easy to be happy. So that's some advice you can apply. If your heart is in the right place and you're not purposefully trying to be bad, then don't get discouraged if you mess up. Just make a change if you need to, smile and keep living the best way you can. cuz if you let that sorrow in and allow it to take over your life then you'll be in a bad situation. So that's a lesson I've learned here.

Another one is that you shouldn't get caught up in trying to be the best or trying to make everyone happy. Because you wont be the best and you cant make everyone happy. For me, I'm here because I want to share my joy with people through Christ and I want people to feel the same joy. So with that intention in my heart, I wont let other intentions flood in like trying to learn spanish the fastest or be the most obedient or trying to please all my teachers and the president cuz I cant do all those things but with the help of the Holy Ghost, I can make a difference in peoples lives with my message:)

I hope you all have a great week!
Love you

-Elder Hilton


No comments:

Post a Comment